Thank you for taking the time to review this proposal. We have been very selective about the contributors we have approached and sent this link to for this project ‘Tattooists of Australia; the story behind the art’. Our research has shown that you are considered one of the top tattooists in the country and this book would most definitely appeal more with your contribution. I hope you find it a feasible journey for you and something you wish to be a part of.
As an assisted independent publishing house with a team of over 40 years of combined experience, we have discovered certain areas where there is a lack of resources and publications available to the relative audience. Based on our research, we have devised a content plan for a new publication that would be a popular read within Australia and beyond.
We are looking at only 20 co-authors for this project that are influential, inspirational, and the best in the country at what they do. We are limiting it to just 20 tattooists as we don’t want to water down the impact we know this book will make.
Each chapter would need to be 2000 – 2500 words in length. We have a template outline we would provide that we would basically ask the questions we would need answers to, within the word count stated. Once complete we would then take the completed chapter through to our structural editor to ensure your chapter flows, has strong engagement and readability, and aligns with the message within the book. You would then be shown the edited chapter for approval to ensure you are happy with what has been produced.
Once approved, we would then enter the full publishing process to ensure we publish a professional trade standard book. Once published, we would then produce a print run of 2000 physical copies and an eBook along with accessing our global distribution network to take the book to the world.
The publishing process we utilise is called Assisted Independent Publishing. This is a hybrid model that follows the same diligent process as a traditional publisher, yet has costs associated with it like self-publishing. The main differences between this and self-publishing are that the team working on the book are all under the one roof, trained and qualified, and we offer marketing and distribution support.
The cost in publishing this approximately 50,000-word manuscript totals $1,595.00 each contributor.
Please note, with Assisted Independent Publishing our goals are to;
*make the full investment back as quickly as possible;
*receive maximum return from each sale regardless of format;
*create a new promotional tool for each of the authors.
So what exactly does your investment of $1,595.00 cover? Below is a breakdown of the process we will take the final manuscript through to bring this book to life.
- Title Registration
- Copy Editing and Proofreading/Proof
- Book Formatting
- Cover Design
- eBook Creation and Kindle Distribution
- ORP Distribution including international Print-On-Demand
- Video Book Trailer
- Tailored Pre-Sale Strategy
- Complete PDF Package of the Book Marketing Mentorship Program
- Book Printing – we would be printing 2000 books where each contributor would receive 200 copies each to sell through their own mediums and channels. The book would be Demy Book Size (140mm x 216mm) with approx. 220pp B&W, Paperback.
As earlier mentioned, with Assisted Independent Publishing our focus is to ensure our authors can make the investment back from the first print run. There are several reasons we focus our attention on the return on investment (ROI). The first is that we want you to become a professionally published author and have it cost nothing but time. Second, we know through our current author base that once the ROI is achieved, the drive to write more, speak more and generate further impact on your specialist topic increases and finally, authors that gain an ROI tend to print more copies of their books, which is great business for all involved.
The following is a financial forecast calculation to show you how this can work for each of you.
- Total Investment = $1,595.00
- Pre-Sale Price = $24.99
- Target = 64 sold of 100 books provided
- Post-Launch Retail Price = $29.99
- Target = 54 sold of 100 books provided
- Pre-Sale Price = $24.99
Considering the average presale results for Ocean Reeve Publishing’s authors during 2018/19 have been around 200, it is highly likely with the connections you have, along with social media profiles and in-store sales, that each contributor would reach that target and beyond during the 3-week pre-sale period. There is also the fact that once you sell your allocated copies we would actually make a healthy profit.
Here are some answers to the questions I am expecting you will have.
- Who owns the rights to my story? You do, we would provide an agreement stating that all copyright remains with you and publishing rights for this publication only are approved by you.
- What if I can’t write? We can provide you with a ghostwriting service where we can interview you and gather the necessary information to write your chapter. There is an additional cost for this however and ghostwriting is expensive at $0.50c per word. Hence why we would encourage you to write yourself based on a template guide we would provide.
- Do I get royalties of book sales? As you have 100 copies provided to you, which you would make a profit from once the targets previously mentioned are reached, and you have the ability to purchase more books at a cost price – this is where your profit would be generated. Splitting a 40% royalty from sales made through us amongst 10 contributors would be less than $0.80c per book and not worth the administration.
- How much would reprints cost? This is dependent on quantity. For example, with printing 1000 books as an initial print run we are looking at around $5.50 per copy. However, if you were to order a reprint of say 50 copies, we could be looking around $11 per copy.